Aboard Content Rules
Aboard is a platform that allows anyone to create content for either personal, private or public use. When a board or any content within a board is shared publicly, users of Aboard must adhere to the Aboard Rules.
To maintain a safe and welcoming environment for a wide range of people to engage in the platform, we prohibit certain conduct.
Each user of Aboard is responsible for maintaining these standards.
In deciding whether someone has violated the rules, we will take into account things like the context and nature of the shared information, the likelihood and severity of actual or potential harm, and applicable laws.
Violations of our rules may result in consequences such as account restrictions and suspension of your account. Aboard has the sole authority and final decision as to whether content or behavior violates our rules.
If you find content on Aboard that you believe violates these rules, please report it by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Threats of violence and incitement
We do not allow content or actions that threaten, encourage, or incite violence against anyone, directly or indirectly.
We do not allow content that constitutes or promotes violence, harassment, or hatred against people based on characteristics like race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, caste, disability, disease, age, sexual orientation, gender, or gender identity.
We do not allow posts or accounts that glorify, celebrate, downplay, or trivialize violence, suffering, abuse, or deaths of individuals or groups. This includes the use of scientific or pseudoscientific claims or misleading statistics to pathologize, dehumanize, or disempower others. We do not allow calls for intolerance, exclusion, or segregation based on protected characteristics, nor do we allow the glorification of groups which do any of the above.
We do not allow hateful text, images, symbols, or other content, including in your username, profile, or bio.
Aboard exists to share and discuss useful information and ideas. We don’t tolerate harassment, which includes:
- Bullying, threatening, mocking, or shaming someone, or posting things likely to encourage others to do so
- Engaging in a repetitive or targeted campaign of harassment against someone or a group of people
- Using derogatory language, racial slurs, or obscenities to disparage or attack someone or a group of people
- Using Aboard features like making a board public, adding cards, commenting on a card in a way that attempts to or does annoy or harass someone, or to draw inorganic attention to your content on Aboard
- Reviewing businesses or products in a gratuitously harmful or abusive manner
Privacy and Reputation
When content is shared publicly on Aboard, we do not allow the following:
- Transcripts of, copies of, or links to private communications between private individuals without the explicit consent of all parties to the communication.
- Doxing, which includes not only private or obscure personal information but also the aggregation of publicly available information to target, shame, blackmail, harass, intimidate, threaten, or endanger a person or group of people
- Posting intimate or explicit images taken or posted without the subject’s express consent
- Content that violates others’ privacy or personal safety, including sensitive or confidential information such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, non-public phone numbers, physical addresses, email addresses, or other similar information
We do not allow accounts that engage in the following restricted categories of activity:
- Promotion of controversial, suspect, or extreme content
- Facilitation of gambling or betting
- Facilitation of buying or selling social media interactions, including off-platform
- Facilitation of sexual services
- Facilitation of copyright or other intellectual property violation
- Facilitation or evidence of violating the terms of service of Aboard or third party(s)
- Facilitation of illegal hacking (e.g., stealing credentials, compromising personal data)
- We do not allow the use of pseudoscience, disinformation, or other content that is contrary to public health or safety
We do not allow content or accounts that engage in on-platform, off-platform, or cross-platform campaigns of targeting, harassment, hate speech, violence, or disinformation. We may consider off-platform actions in assessing an Aboard account, and restrict access or availability to that account.
We do not allow posting, linking to, or otherwise promoting pornographic images or videos.
We do not allow gratuitously graphic or disturbing media, regardless of subject matter.
Exploitation of minors
We do not allow content promoting the sexual, violent, or other exploitation of minors, including the sexualization of fictional minors.
Promotion and glorification of self-harm
We do not allow content or activities that encourage, promote or glorify acts of self-harm, such as cutting, eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia, and suicide. If you encounter users contemplating or threatening self-harm, please report it to us via the form or email address linked below.
We do not allow posting duplicate copies of the same content to Aboard, whether from a single account or across multiple accounts, either publicly or privately.
Spam or Site Misuse
We do not allow spam or misuse of Aboard. All spam or misuse will be immediately removed from Aboard without notification. Examples of spam or misuse include:
Scraping and reposting content from other sources for the primary purpose of generating revenue or other personal gains
Performing a disproportionately large number of interactions, particularly by automated means.
Repeatedly using responses or other interactions as a method of promotion or marketing
For each of these behaviors, when we talk about “content,” we mean not only boards, stacks or cards but also any other feature that allows you to add your own text or media. When we talk about “interactions,” we mean any feature that allows one user to interact with another person or post.
Copyright and trademark infringement
Respect the copyrights and trademarks of others. We require users to have permission to post the content they share publicly on Aboard. Additionally, we have specific policies around plagiarism, to which all Aboard accounts are held. Users found in violation of our copyright rules are not eligible for appeal or restoration.
We do not allow deceptive conduct on Aboard. This includes:
- Posting content or impersonating a person or organization in a way likely to deceive people.
- Using Aboard for phishing or fraud. Don’t use tags, links, titles, or other metadata in a misleading way. Don’t link to or embed malicious or harmful code or software in your cards or comments
- Don’t use deception to generate revenue or traffic
Ads, Promotions, and Marketing
- Images functioning as third-party ads are not allowed. Inline images or embeds that link out and function as banner ads for third-party brands are not allowed.
- Affiliate links, such as link out to Amazon with your code, or any other link out where you will receive a commission or other value, are allowed. But, you must disclose somewhere in the post that it includes affiliate links. We encourage you to disclose to your audience that you are using affiliate links.
- Multi-level or affiliate marketing content is not allowed.
How to report a violation
If you find a post or account on Aboard that violates these rules, please report it by emailing email@example.com.
If you break the rules
We strive to be fair, but we reserve the right to suspend accounts or remove content, without notice, for any reason, particularly to protect our services, infrastructure, users, or community. If you attempt to evade suspension by creating new accounts or posts, we will suspend your new accounts and posts.
Upon investigating or disabling content associated with your account, we will notify you, unless we believe your account is automated or operating in bad faith, or that notifying you is likely to cause, maintain or exacerbate harm to someone.
Government Takedown Requests
If Aboard receives a request from a government actor to restrict access to content associated with your account, we will notify you unless we are prohibited by law or believe doing so may endanger others.
We may enforce, or not enforce, these policies at our sole discretion. These policies don’t create a duty or contractual obligation for us to act.
We also may change these rules at any time. We track changes to our rules on Github so you can see how they evolve.